Open Studios 2012 (8 - 30 September)
Booking are now being taken for Herts Open Studios - deadline for applications 31 March !!
APPLY ON LINE
The on-line application system for members is now open. Simply login to the website, renew your membership fee for 2012-2013, pay your participation fee of £90 by paypal/credit card and upload your own application details and image.
The ultimate success of Open Studios depends on your own enthusiasm, so do involve yourself to the maximum extent possible .....and spread the word, we are a community network, support the project by suggesting to non-member artists that they join Herts Visual Arts!
If you would like to join the project team, irrespective of whether or not you are opening your studio this year, do contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org or your local Area Coordinator on the email addresses below:
BARNET - June Faulkner
DACORUM - Mitzie Green
EAST HERTS – Linda Gifford
HARPENDEN – Roger Reynolds
NORTH HERTS Cathy Smale
ST. ALBANS – Pratima Kramer
WATFORD – Jan Langton
WELWYN & HATFIELD – (Volunteer needed)
MAKING A SUCCESS OF OPEN STUDIOS
If you are thinking about taking part in Herts Open Studios 2012 – join us on the evening of Wednesday 29th February (7.30pm start) Area Coordinators, previous participants and some of our team of volunteers will be on hand to answer your questions.
• learn how it has worked for others
• touch base with your local support network
• find out how to get the most out of Open Studios
• network and meet with other artists
• link up with people who have space to share and with people who need a venue.
If you have any queries about Open Studios, or are planning to attend the meeting at University of Hertfordshire (Room A161, Lindop Building, College Lane Campus, Hatfield AL10 9AB) please email me at email@example.com
I look forward to hearing from you.
OPEN STUDIOS PROJECT MANAGER
PS. I thought it valuable to re-iterate the interesting facts our Chairman, Mel Hilbrown raised in his article in the December issue:
• Every year HVA organise the printing of 25,000 full colour Open Studios brochures which we distribute around Hertfordshire over a three month period giving visibility for each participant’s work during the project and beyond.
• Many visitors keep the brochure for reference and requests for copies are made even after Open Studios has ended.
• Printing and distributing our quality 64 page brochures costs over £13,000.
• In previous years arts funding has cushioned the costs of Open Studios, but there has been no funding available for it since 2008.
• Low participation in Open Studios 2011 created a financial strain on HVA. Only 130 members took part so that for every participant paying £90 HVA lost over £10 on brochure costs alone, before taking into account any of the other costs of organising such a large event.
• In 2011 coverage in the press and on-line filled three large cuttings folders – this is publicity artists could not easily achieve for themselves, let alone for the cost of participating!
• If 200 members take part in Open Studios 2012, with a small amount of income generated from advertising revenue, we can cover all our costs.
• 200 participants will ensure Open Studios continues to help artists generate interest and income.
• Less than 150 Open Studios participants puts the future of Open Studios at risk.